I spent Wednesday in an all day meeting with over-achieving nerds.
I used to be an overachieving nerd; vocally competitive, eager to prove my superior creativity, show my impressive degree of preparedness and certain of my place as benevolent leader in any group situation. I no longer have the ambition to do all of those effective, self-advancing things, and I was disconcerted by the subtle yet constant jockeying for position. I'm usually a good speaker and capable of presenting myself as prepared and thoughtful, but I was frankly a little off my game that morning. Part of that was forgetting my goddamned phone; Don Julio was my ride and he was waiting around in this random city until I texted him that the meeting was over. Since I didn't have a phone, he was a little screwed. I succeeded in getting a hold of him, but the details are long and complicated. In short, it was a mess that made me look bad and because of various other issues, ended up taking three hours to get home on the train. Lame.
Anyway, I felt a little discombobulated because of my transportation conundrum, and after a certain point I got a little tired of the two boys talking over me. Hopefully when we're all working on our individual projects, I'll be able to handle them better. The two of them never stopped talking themselves up on the bus ride to the train station, however, and once the English guy made a sexist comment (which I called him on), I effectively removed myself from the conversation. You know, as much as one can when you're crowded into the same nook on the bus.
At the end of the day, I bought Chinese food for the valiant Don Julio after he picked me up from the station, and then fell asleep on his couch watching soccer. Yup, all was right it the end.
Friday, April 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment